Thursday, May 20, 2010
Building it up, just to knock it back down.
The title sums it up.  Just when my knee is starting to feel better (well, as good as it can feel considering it's lack of structural support), my doc calls and tells me to schedule an appointment to talk about surgery dates.  I have been cleared, and am able to walk on it with an assistance of a knee brace, but I look at it as a good sign.  At least I got some cool MRI photos out of the ordeal.
Note: This puny little leg is not mine, it's one I found on google images.  My leg is of course much more muscular...;)

But this picture does show you that there is no ACL to be found (normally the ACL sits between the two boney ends which make up the knee joint.)

Some other noticeable changes are happening to my leg.  The size, or girth rather, has significantly decreased within the last two weeks.  My right leg is considerably bigger than my injured left.  It is very peculiar and makes me notice how deformed that bad boy is right now. 

As far as surgery goes, I am looking forward to getting it over with and starting my road to recovery.  I know I have a surgeon with a great tract record, and I am personal friends with countless Physical Therapists, not to mention my uncle is the Director of Physical Therapy at Stark State University in Ohio.  Good stuff, I know I'm in good hands. 

In other news, I have coincidentally decided to go back to school to pursue a career in Physical Therapy myself.  It is almost a no brainer, considering my interest in medicine, fitness, and my innate need to help people.  Can't believe I was ever back and forth about this issue.  Classes start Monday to get some pre-reqs.

The most notable thing I learned this week came from my Uncle Wally, the PT in Ohio:  "Your knowledge and background in strength and conditioning will help you a lot during this whole process, but it can also hurt you.  You need to trust other people in order to make a full recovery."  Meaning, don't self diagnose my injury, as well as prescribe my own rehabilitative exercises.  PTs specialize in rehab, I specialize in fitness.  There is a huge difference, and he wants me to recognize that.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment